Maine DOT Says Unopened Sarah Long Bridge Is Safe
Despite rumors to the contrary, the Maine Department of Transportation say the new Sarah Mildred Long Bridge is "safe and operational."
According to the Union Leader, the often delayed bridge, originally slated to open late summer of last year, was commissioned in January. Maine DOT spokesman Ted Talbot told the Leader, "commissioned" means it was operated under a number of different scenarios. He continued that much of the work still be be completed is weather dependent, such as painting, weatherproofing, and etc. Maine DOT recently posted on its website that "Maine and New Hampshire are now evaluating all options for opening the bridge sooner than what is indicated on Cianbro’s most recent schedule."
According to the article, the latest schedule projects an opening date of May 10 for vehicle traffic.