Woman Shocked Trying To Rescue Electrocuted Dog In Laconia
Bella, a 13-year-old black Labrador retriever initially jumped into a body of water.
According to WMUR ABC 9, a woman suffered an electric shock Sunday after she walked into water to rescue her dog, and according to officials, had been electrocuted. She and her dog were at the end of Appleton Street when the dog ran and jumped into the water.
The woman's boyfriend, Max McCullough told WMUR "My girlfriend didn't know where the dog went, so they were looking around, and eventually she saw the dog," "She ran in to grab her, she thought the dog was just drowning, and she got shocked."
While "Bella" was fatally electrocuted, her rescuer survived. The woman was taken to the hospital for evaluation, and continues to slowly recover, according to her boyfriend. “She's not doing very great. She's taken a while to come to terms with what's happened.” “It's traumatizing for both ways, seeing the dog like that and that just happening to her.”
According to WMUR ABC 9, The Laconia Fire Department said the water had an electrical current in it, and Eversource was called to turn off power to the docks and a light pole. Eversource said in a statement "A crew determined on site that this hazard was caused by customer-owned equipment." The fire department said Eversource made sure there was no danger to others in the area, and power was restored to the docks.
The 23 year old woman's boyfriend summed up the panic, telling WMUR “I was glad she didn't die,” he said. “I was so nervous, I didn't even know what to think.”