5 Things NH Boaters Need to Know Before They Get in the Water This Summer
If you're going to buy a kayak, you should know how to USE a kayak.
I know that a bunch of you in New Hampshire are excited for all this warmer weather and getting into the water. But that also means you should be safe, too.
So, I give you 5 safety tips, directly from Ocean Kayak, for your kayaking pleasure:
1. Beware of off-shore winds that make it difficult to return to shore. This one prevents me from going out on a kayak time and time again. Once I get out there, I'm afraid I won't return!
2. Be aware of weather conditions and water temperature. What if something goes wrong and I land in the water? I get cold very easily, so I'd probably wear a parka.
3. Never mix alcohol or drugs (prescription or non-prescription) with boating. Well, duh.
4. Never exceed the weight capacity of your boat. But, I have to bring food, water, sunscreen, more food and ice! How will I keep my non-alcoholic bevvie cold without ice?!
5. Most importantly, WEAR YOUR PERSONAL FLOATATION DEVICE. This is a no-brainer. What if something happens, heaven forbid? Even if you can swim, this is a good idea. Even a great swimmer is no match for mother nature if she's all riled up!