Did You Know Vladimir Putin Once Caught a Fish in Maine?
Do you know that Russian President, Ukraine Invader, and all-around bad guy Vladimir Putin once spent some time in Maine? It was back in the summer of 2007, when Putin visited the Bush Compound on Walker's Point in Kennebunkport.
Back in 2007, Putin visited President George Bush (43). The other President Bush (41) and his wife Barbara helped host, and the elder Bush took Putin on one of his infamous speedboat rides. The group went fishing, with only Putin catching a fish. “Fishing is good for the soul,” President Bush said at the time. “Fishing is good for one person to get to know another.”
Putin's stay in Maine lasted two days. The Russian leader's plane landed in Portsmouth, NH, where he was then helicoptered to Maine with President Bush on board. Relations between Russia and the US were much better back then. I doubt we will see Putin anywhere near Maine any time soon!
Back in 2007, MaineToday asked Mainers where Putin should go in Maine during his visit. Answers ranged from the Clam Shack to the beach to the Old Port.
Vladimir Putin is one of several notable people to visit the Bush Compound on Walker's Point. Other famous visitors include:
- Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. In fact, the Justice’s nomination announcement was made at Walker's Point in July 1991.
- French President François Mitterrand in 1989.
- British Prime Minister John Major-1991
- Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney-1991.
- Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin -1992.
- French President Nicolas Sarkozy- 2007.
- U.S. President Bill Clinton -2011.
- Reverend Billy Graham
- British PM Margaret Thatcher
- President of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev