4 Thoughtful Ways to Honor First Responders and Veterans
For some people, their jobs are more than just vocations.
Our veterans and first responders go above and beyond to keep us safe. They walk into situations most people run away from, whether it is at war, catching bad guys, fighting fires, helping people in car crashes or other types of accidents, and, in general, just making our communities safer. They do their jobs in blazing heat, in the middle of ice and snowstorms, and in the middle of the night. They work on holidays and all weekend long.
A thank-you or simple show of support can take very little of your time but leave a big impression on them. It also can be a great family activity that teaches children about careers and the importance of giving back. Here are a few simple ideas for showing police, firefighters, paramedics and military veterans that we appreciate their service.
1) Thank you letters and children's drawings. A simply hand-written note or a child's coloring project is something they can hang at their desk, training room or kitchen, prompting smiles for weeks to come. (SuperColoring.com has free coloring pages of firefighters, police, military personnel and paramedics.)
2) Drop off snacks at the police station or fire station. Who doesn't like free snacks?
3) Pay it forward in the drive-thru. If you see a squad car or other service vehicle behind you in line, ask to pay for their order, too.
4) Nominate a local first responder or veteran for our Hometown Heroes award, brought to you by Partners Bank. Each month, we honor a first responder or military veteran nominated by listeners. the Hometown Hero of the Month will also win a $75 Visa gift card, $25 to Bubba Fryes Wings & Things and four tickets to the Seacoast Science Center in Rye. And, of course, they also receive a very public thank you for their hard work and dedication.
That's not the only way Partners Bank is honoring veterans and first responders. Partners Bank offers a Heroes banking bundle, including:
- Heroes Savings Account: Receive higher interest rates as your balances increase with no minimum balance needed to earn interest.
- Heroes Checking: Includes free checks forever, no monthly service charge, free ATM use (Partners Bank covers ATM fees at other banks' machines) and free LifeStages identity protection services
- Discounts to local attractions
- Free LifeStages Identity Theft protection
- Free financial seminars and webinars