Who Remembers When Downtown Rochester, NH, Looked Like This?
"Memory, all alone in the moonlight"...if it's not clear, I am singing this Barbara Streisand song:
We all like to get a little nostalgic now and then! And most people feel like when they were growing up was the best time ever to be a kid. I know I feel like that about the 90s! The age of Furbys and butterfly clips. I mean, what's better than that?
Cliff Newton wanted to take a stroll down memory lane by posting this photo on the "You Know You're From Rochester NH if you..." Facebook group, and tons of folks were eager to join him.
He captioned this photo:
"Memories. When Downtown Rochester was full of stores. Is your favorite store in this picture?"
When did downtown Rochester look like this?
Well, according to a few different people in the comments, this was the 60s to very early 70s.
A few observations right off the bat:
- The awnings are so classic and sweet-looking!
- The cars are awesome! This was back when not all cars looked the same.
- Did the Bell Shop sell bells? I feel like the answer is probably no, but I felt the need to ask.
People shared so many sweet memories in the comments of when downtown Rochester looked like this! Some common memories:
- Moonlight Madness Sales
- Window Shopping with Mom at the Bell Shop
- Woolworths had the best-tasting fountain soda in the whole wide world
- Young World was awesome and across the street was Roseanns
- Don't forget Sheldon and Shane's
- “Sidewalk days”- sales up and down the street, and special treats at Harvey Bakery.
- Red Hayes directing traffic
If you had to pick one store that reminded you of your childhood, what would it be?