6 Questions You Might Help Answer About ‘The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown’
Today being Halloween, I had to watch, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," and it brought up some life-long questions that I've had burning in my brain my whole life:
- Why did Charlie Brown always get rocks when he went out trick or treating with the other kids? What normal adult would ever give a child a rock and all the other kids candy? Why? I have no good answer for that one other than the adults thought it was funny.
- Why didn't the adults talk in words? Who would want to hear mean people speak anyway? They gave rocks to an innocent boy who had too many holes in his sheet.
- Why was Snoopy sometimes mean to Charlie Brown? C'mon, you know it's true. I had a dog. That dog was my best friend and wanted to be with me no matter what. Snoopy wasn't like that at all. He used to spend all his free time with Woodstock or atop his dog house pretending to be the Red Baron.
- Did the red-headed girl ever really LIKE-like Charlie? Or was it more than just a friendship to her? I'm thinking she was too stuck up to even THINK of Charlie Brown in that way. She was too busy making eyes at Pig-Pen.
- Why did Peppermint Patty call Charlie Brown Chuck? Did SHE LIKE him, like him? This is doubtful and I think you know why.
- Could you call people a "BLOCKHEAD" today with this PC climate we all live in? I don't think so. Shame on you, Sally.
And one more bonus question: Why did Charlie Brown always fall for Lucy's LIES about the football? Because, my friends: Charlie Brown was the forever optimist who believed that Lucy wasn't the lying blockhead that she was, Snoopy really did love him and the red-headed girl dreamed of one day marrying him. Good Grief, Charlie Brown!
Anyway, Happy Halloween, my friends! May the Great Pumpkin land in your Pumpkin Patch tonight!