Dover and Other Seacoast Communities Open Cooling Centers
We all need to be careful in this heat headed this way this weekend. The City of Dover website has given us a few places to cool off, Friday through Sunday:
- The McConnell Center cafeteria
- The Dover Public Library
- The Jenny Thompson Outdoor Pool is also open all weekend
If you need emergency shelter, the article also goes on to say that you should contact the Dover Police Department at 603-742-4646 or call 911 for extreme emergencies.
Other cooling centers are being offered throughout the seacoast, according to Adamsky Law Office website, like the Portsmouth Public Library.
Foster's also lists a few places like the Somersworth Library will be open and the Fire station will be open both Saturday and Sunday.
The Union Leader has given us a few tips on how to stay cool:
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids, especially water.
- Avoid hot foods and heavy meals; they add heat to your body.
- Check on people you know who do not have air conditioning.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day, typically around 3 p.m.
- Take frequent breaks if working outdoors.
- Be alert for heat stroke and heat exhaustion.